In this current environment of fear, anxiety, and uncertainty you may feel pulled in a thousand directions as you do your best to work, teach, entertain, and stay hopeful amidst such isolation, and distress. This situation is new to us all, we have never been here before. We have never faced a simultaneous global upheaval of this magnitude.
We are all finding ourselves taking on new roles and may feel ill-prepared to do it all and be everything for everyone in our life. Although we know that self -care is important, we may find an absolute lack of time and space to worry about taking care of ourselves.
- Stay Informed – It is appropriate that we limit our own and our children’s exposure to the media. It is imperative that we stay informed, but do not allow the constant flow of information to become overwhelming. Set appropriate boundaries around the sources where we get information as well as the time we spend watching and listening to the news.
- Connection – Reach out for emotional support. Call, text, or message friends and loved ones. Feeling alone has detrimental effects on our well-being. Ask yourself every day, who can I reach out to. Who would love to hear from me?
- Soothe – Practice grounding exercises. Meditate, use guided breathing to calm your body. Listen to soothing music, relaxing sounds, or your favorite song. Sing your favorite song or pray out loud.
- Control – Focus on the things we can control. Wash hands use face masks as required in your area. Eat well, drink lots of water. Discuss your work policies with HR. Review finances and adjust expenditures as needed.
- Honor and Distract – Acknowledge the fear, and anxiety. Give a name to what you are feeling, sad, scared, etc. Engage in helpful distraction techniques such as crossword puzzles, Sudoku, reading, and crafts.
Most important, be grateful, we will get through this difficult time, and look back and realize we are all stronger than we realize. I believe we will have a new appreciation for our lives and many of the simple things we took for granted.